Sunday, July 29, 2018

Remodeling the Bath, by Traci D'Antoni (D'Antoni Sales Group), and Education Committee Member


We deal with people remodeling their homes everyday in the showroom. It could be for resale or it could be because they have made the decision to stay where they are while updating the home they love. I recently remodeled a bath in my own home and I'd like to share some things I learned and some tips to share with your customers to make their remodeling process as smooth as possible.
  1. Take your time choosing a contractor. This is someone who is going to be spending quite a bit of time in your home, so interview your contractor with this in mind. You also should get 3 or 4 bids on your project and make sure to be very specific about what the scope of the work is. You want all your bids to be based on the same parameters. Get references from your potential contractor and ask the references about the entire process and the level of service they received.
  2. Have a realistic budget. When you get back the bids from the contractors, review them thoroughly to see what is included in the quote. Remember, the quote could change depending on what happens when the walls get opened up. We've all seen the HGTV "we weren't expecting..."  I use 10% as the amount for the cushion in the budget.
  3. Have a realistic timeline for both receiving product and completion of the construction. As business is picking up, it may take longer to receive product. I encourage having all product on hand before beginning the actual remodel. This will help prevent any stopage in work due to delays in receiving materials. Keep in mind that your contractor may have other projects going on and if they have to leave your project it could extend your timeline.
  4. Be prepared - your life is going to be disrupted. At some point in time there will be dust, noise, power turned off, water turned off and someone else in your space. Make other arrangements for your pets if they have a tendency to run or be overly friendly.
  5. Patience is a virtue and needed in abundance during your remodel. No matter how well you plan, there will be something that goes awry. Don't have a meltdown, just realize that it will pass and the results will be all worth it.
Being in the industry, I felt that I was well prepared for my remodel. I had all of my products on hand, my contractor came over the week before the project and looked at all of the products and I explained what I wanted done. That being said, I still had a few glitches during the construction, but now that it is all over, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I love my new bathroom and if you need a contractor in the Louisville area, I know a great one.

No comments:

Post a Comment