Saturday, November 3, 2018

Improving Out-of-Office Messaging


There are times of the year when you go on vacation, attend the annual DPHA Conference or are away from the showroom to celebrate births, weddings and other milestone events. Too often, many of us create an out of office message similar to the following, "Your correspondence is important to me. However, I am out of the office and have limited access to email. I will respond as quickly as I can when I return. If you need immediate help, email or call, xyz person." The odds are that this type of message is probably used 98 percent of the time. However, there are better options that enable you to connect with those who email you if you simply provide a few more details. This will enable you to better engage with your email senders when you return to work. For example, "I am out of the office to attend the annual Decorative Plumbing & Hardware Association Annual Conference where I will spend a considerable amount of time exchanging and learning trends and best industry practices that will bring additional value to you and our clients. If you need immediate assistance contact xyz person." In a similar vein, if you are celebrating a milestone consider the following, "I am out of the office celebrating the birth of our first grandson, Jake. In honor of this momentous event, I will not be checking my emails until (date). If you need immediate assistance, contact xyz person."
 
Experiment with your messaging. When you add a bit more information and make it personal, chances are that when you return, you will have great conversation starters and be able to better connect with your clients, team members and prospects.

No comments:

Post a Comment